Call or Text For Free Consultation 352-329-6336

E2 Visa

E2 Visa

The E2 Visa allows a national of a treaty country (Click HERE to see if your country qualifies as an E2 Treaty Country) to be admitted to the United States when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business either as a start-up business or purchasing an existing business.

Text or call to discuss your questions: 352-329-6336

Franchises are excellent E2 Visa business options

Watch our How-To Videos: What is an E2 Visa?  and  Why is a Franchise a Good E2 Investment?

How to qualify for an E-2 Visa

To qualify for E-2 classification, the treaty investor must:

  • Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation;
  • Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States; and
  • Be seeking to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise. This is established by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate devices

How long can I stay in the United States on an E-2 Visa?

Qualified treaty investors and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Requests for extension of stay in, or changes of status to, E-2 classification may be granted in increments of up to two years each. There is no limit to the number of extensions an E-2 nonimmigrant may be granted. All E-2 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated.

An E-2 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted, if determined admissible by a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Officer, an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States. 

Family of E-2 Treaty Investors and Employees

Treaty investors and employees may be accompanied or followed by spouses and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age. Their nationalities need not be the same as the treaty investor or employee. These family members may seek E-2 nonimmigrant classification as dependents and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee. The spouse of the E-2 Treaty Investor may also apply to work in the U.S. If approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the E-2 spouse may work.

What is a substantial amount of capital in an E2 Visa investment?

A substantial amount of capital is:

  • Substantial in relationship to the total cost of either purchasing an established enterprise or establishing a new one

  • Sufficient to ensure the treaty investor's financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise

  • Of a magnitude to support the likelihood that the treaty investor will successfully develop and direct the enterprise.  The lower the cost of the enterprise, the higher, proportionately, the investment must be to be considered substantial.

The E2 Investment must be in a Bona Fide Enterprise:

A bona fide enterprise refers to a real, active, and operating commercial or entrepreneurial undertaking that produces services or goods for profit.  It can refer to a start-up business that when running would meet the same criteria as an active operation. The business must meet applicable legal requirements for doing business within its jurisdiction.

Helping clients worldwide with Franchise and Immigration matters in all 50 states Free Initial Consultation**

Franchise and Immigration Matters
(352) 329-6336
Linea En Espanol

Although based in Florida, Usher Law Firm, P.A. serves clients worldwide and helps with franchise and immigration matters in all 50 states.

At Usher Law Firm, you can count on caring, personal service.
**A minimal scheduling fee may apply to some cases