Call or Text For Free Consultation 352-329-6336


I Lost My Employment Authorization Card, What Should I Do?

Posted by John Usher | Sep 14, 2021 | 0 Comments

In general, if a work authorization card is lost, stolen or destroyed, it should be replaced. There may be certain practical exceptions to this rule. For example, a DACA recipient who has to renew annually, and who is close to time to file for the renewal, may decide just to wait a little bit and file for the renewal (not a replacement). The filing fee is the same for both a replacement and a renewal.

Having an actual employment authorization document (card) is valuable as new employers are supposed to request it for employment eligibility. In Florida it's helpful for obtaining a driver's license. 

While it is advisable to actually always possess a work card, the need/time to request a renewal will depend on a person's specific immigration case. Work eligibility is not revoked just because a card is lost. The card is just tangible proof of eligibility. 

Cards, indeed, all of an individual's immigration records, should be copied and safely stored. Backing up to the clouds can later save people money and time.

About the Author

John Usher

FLORIDA IMMIGRATION & FRANCHISE ATTORNEY Experience Matters John Usher's interest as a Florida Immigration & Franchise attorney is helping people. He has 30 years of success in business. Attorney John Usher makes sense of the complex immigration laws as they relate to your special situation. Y...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Helping clients worldwide with Franchise and Immigration matters in all 50 states Free Initial Consultation**

Franchise and Immigration Matters
(352) 329-6336
Linea En Espanol

Although based in Florida, Usher Law Firm, P.A. serves clients worldwide and helps with franchise and immigration matters in all 50 states.

At Usher Law Firm, you can count on caring, personal service.
**A minimal scheduling fee may apply to some cases