Everything You Need To Know About VAWA

You can file for VAWA if you are currently married to a U.S. citizen or green card holder.


If your marriage was terminated within 2 years of the date for filing for VAWA (I-360), you can self-petition for a green card, but you will need to show a connection between the acts of abuse and the ending of the marriage.


You can get divorced while the I-360 is pending.


Florida does not recognize a common law marriage therefore the marriage must be licensed to qualify for VAWA.


It is important to understand an I-360 will be denied if you re-marry before it is approved. The recommendation for most people would be to not get married with a pending I-360.


To prevail with a VAWA request, the petitioner is required to prove (1) a good faith marriage, (2) that they are a person of good moral character, (3) the abuser is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and (4) they were physically or mentally abused. As this is a discretionary matter, evidence is extremely critical.

Recent Posts


Because of political and civil unrest in Haiti, this past Saturday, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced it is ...
Learn More