A conditional green card is given by the authorities when your marriage is less than two years old. at the point they give you a conditional green card, they're saying, "okay, we think you are who you say you are, your marriage is legitimate, but come back and let's just touch base a little bit later." after you have had that conditional green card two years, actually six months before the two years is up, you're suppose to apply to remove the conditions, and basically what you do at that point is provide them additional evidence that your marriage is real and ongoing. If, in the case of a divorce or separation, you can still get the conditions removed, but it's much tougher to do that and you really need the help of an attorney in that case.