Call or Text For Free Consultation 352-329-6336


Yikes! My Conditional Green Card Expired and I need to travel

Posted by John Usher | Nov 30, 2020 | 0 Comments

You have a conditional (2-year) green card that is about to expire. You have filed Form I-751 to remove the conditions. However, the time between filing and receiving the 10-year green card can be over 18 months!!!

What if you need to travel abroad during that time?

After a conditional green card has expired and before your new 10-year green card arrives, it's necessary for a conditional resident to carry the following items when traveling abroad:
• Valid, unexpired passport
• Expired conditional green card
• Valid, unexpired I-797C, Notice of Action
USCIS will mail you the I-797c Notice of Action after you file Form I-751. It's a receipt letter that will also provide an extension (typically for 18 months) to your conditional residence. However, it may take USCIS several weeks to send the letter after you have submitted your application.  You should contact USCIS to get the most up to date information.

About the Author

John Usher

FLORIDA IMMIGRATION & FRANCHISE ATTORNEY Experience Matters John Usher's interest as a Florida Immigration & Franchise attorney is helping people. He has 30 years of success in business. Attorney John Usher makes sense of the complex immigration laws as they relate to your special situation. Y...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Helping clients worldwide with Franchise and Immigration matters in all 50 states Free Initial Consultation**

Franchise and Immigration Matters
(352) 329-6336
Linea En Espanol

Although based in Florida, Usher Law Firm, P.A. serves clients worldwide and helps with franchise and immigration matters in all 50 states.

At Usher Law Firm, you can count on caring, personal service.
**A minimal scheduling fee may apply to some cases