Venezuelan Student F-1 Visa Update
The Secretary of Homeland Security has, for humanitarian reasons, undertaken action to help Venezuelan students here on F-1 visas. Venezuelan citizen students will now (1) be able to get work authorization, and (2) be able to reduce their school load (and still be in compliance with their visa). These allowances are initially scheduled to remain in place until September 9, 2022.
The Notice applies to F-1 students who meet all the following conditions:
- Are citizens of Venezuela, regardless of country of birth;
- Were in the U.S. on April 22, 2021;
- Are enrolled in a school that is SEVP-certified;
- Are maintaining their F-1 status; and
- Are experiencing severe economic hardship as a direct result of the current humanitarian crisis in Venezuela.
It will be necessary for those desiring to take advantage of the program to file an Application for Employment Authorization with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
It should be noted that TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization for Venezuelan students does not allow a student to drop below the “full course of study” requirement (12 credit hours).
Venezuelan citizens, who were ignored in recent years by politicians, are now getting some immigration relief. TPS, in particular, offers so many benefits. There's no good reason not to apply.
Contact us today for more information and to see if you qualify.